Breast Augmentation in Huntsville
BREAST AUGMENTATION is the surgical placement of BREAST IMPLANTS to increase fullness and projection of the breasts. Cosmetically this can:
- Enlarge a naturally small breast, most commonly the result of heredity
- Restore breast volume lost following pregnancy or after weight loss
- Achieve better symmetry if breasts are different in size or shape
- Enhance self image and self confidence
The following information will be discussed at the time of consultation:
- Breast implants may be filled with silicone gel or saline (salt water). Both styles come in different profiles, that and individual choices are made after a consultation to best suit each patient’s concerns and anatomy.
- Implants may be placed in a pocket below the breast tissue only, or beneath pectoral muscle and breast tissue. Consultations with Dr. Bundrick will help each person decide the best pocket to use.
- Breast function is maintained. Nursing is normal.
- Breast cancer risk with smooth implants is not increased. A full discussion is available at www.breastimplantsafety.org.
- Breast implants may not last a lifetime. They can rupture or fail. Major implant makers will provide replacements for your lifetime should this occur.
- Scarring or capsular contracture may alter the softness of the breast. Massage techniques will be demonstrated that can help maintain a full pocket and soft breasts.
- Surgery is done under general anesthesia (completely asleep) and lasts about an hour. It is best to have a person with the patient for the first 24 hours after surgery.
- Recovery time varies, but most patients can return to work and a normal routine in just a few days or less than a week. Breast shape improves over the first several months as tissue relaxes slightly.
- Please bring a list of any questions you may have, and Dr. Bundrick will discuss them at your consultation.